October 7, 2010

Homemade Pimento Cheese Spread

My husband and mom REALLY love pimiento cheese. I think it's okay in small doses, but I've never been one to crave it. My brother on the other hand thinks it should be banned to the realm of DDT. I figured no matter where you stand in the pimiento cheese debate, making it from scratch had to be better than the bright orange store bought kind.
The basics of pimiento cheese are the pimientos, cheese and a little mayo to hold it all together. Pimientos are simply a type of pepper that is pickled. Pimiento peppers are the same item you find stuffed in the middle of green olives. Ironically red bell peppers are the same pepper that gets dried and ground into the spice paprika. Talk about versatile!
You could pickle your own peppers substituting red bell peppers and get a similar result if you roast them first. I did not pickle my peppers since we had only green and purple ones this year, no red bell peppers. Instead I went to the grocery store and purchased a little 4 oz jar of the pimientos for my recipe. I will say no matter whether you purchase or make the pimientos, this recipe will be the BEST pimiento cheese you've ever had. It really is so drastically better than the store bought you can be proud to serve this at any entertaining event (and it's easy)!

Pimiento Cheese Spread
Makes 4 cups
1 4oz jar of pimientos
1 1/2 c mayo
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp finely grated or minced onion (you can use dried)
16oz of finely shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (or use a combo of extra sharp, sharp, med cheddar and also monterey jack, or mozzarella)
Stir together the pimientos, mayo, worcestershire, and onion. Then stir in the cheeses. You can optionally add in any one of the following: 3/4 c chopped pecans, 4 oz of cream cheese, or 5 oz chopped green olives.
The first time I made this cheese I was amazed. It's really good and only as orange as your cheddar cheese makes it. It's chunkier and "drier" than the kind from the store. Really yummy on crackers or in a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...